Each laser procedure at Golden Gate Skin Center begins with a complete health history and thorough skin consultation by one of our aesthetic nurses or nurse practitioners. We will review your skin concerns and determine if your skin type is a good candidate for laser treatments. Like most skin procedures, optimal results are seen with a series and can be maintained thereafter with annual treatments. Our team of aesthetic nurses and aestheticians work together to help keep your skin healthy and vibrant.
Unwanted hair can occur anywhere on the face or body. Both men and women struggle with unwanted hair on the arms, legs, back, chest, stomach, underarms, buttocks, face or bikini areas. Laser hair removal eliminates the daily hassles of traditional hair-removal maintenance (e.g., shaving, tweezers, waxing). With the Lumenis LightSheer DUET, you can eliminate unwanted hair with greater speed and comfort than other methods. The LightSheer DUET high-speed handpiece uses breakthrough vacuum-assisted technology in combination with a diode laser to allow rapid and comfortable treatment of large areas. This procedure passes laser energy through the skin to target pigment in the hair follicle. The heat is absorbed by the hair follicle and it is destroyed. Since hair grows in different cycles, it is important to repeat treatments every four to six weeks to treat each cycle of hair growth. It is ideal to be clean shaven for laser hair removal and to stay out of the sun. The procedure’s time varies based on the size of the area treated. Laser hair removal does not work for blond, red, grey or white hair.
Before Laser Hair Removal:
- Avoid sun exposure, tanning, and self-tanning creams, sprays or lotions for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- No waxing, bleaching, tweezing, threading or use of depilatory agents for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- You may shave or clip hair before your treatment but allow enough growth so that hair color and texture can be detected.
After Laser Hair Removal:
- Quick, warm showers are recommended. Avoid strenuous exercise, hot baths, hot tubs and saunas for a few days following the procedure.
- Prolonged sun exposure should be avoided for 4 weeks before and after treatment. Sunscreen with SPF 30 to 50 is recommended.
- Discomfort is usually minimal, but you may experience some mild swelling for a few hours. Cold packs, aloe-vera or any other cooling preparation may be used to ease temporary discomfort.
- Over-the-counter hydrocortisone may be applied to areas of discomfort twice a day for one week.
- Makeup can be applied as long as the skin is not broken. Mineral makeup can also serve as an additional sun block.
- Please contact our San Francisco Skin Center at 415-831-2171 if you have any questions or concerns.