Please call our office if you experience any of the following:
- Temperature greater than 100.4F
- Shaking chills without fever
- Pain not relieved by pain medication
- Not able to take foods or fluids
- Persistent headache or seeing spots in front of your eyes
- Vaginal bleeding that soaks more than 1 pad in less than 1 hour
- Area in the breast that is hot, hard, red, & painful to touch
When discharged from the hospital, please call to schedule a postpartum appointment six weeks after your delivery date. For patients who delivered via cesarean section, please also schedule an incision check two weeks after your delivery.
Bleeding and Cramping
Bleeding and cramping should gradually decrease after delivery and may not completely disappear for four to six weeks. You may occasionally pass some clots or have heavy bleeding. Unless you are soaking a pad every hour for four hours, there is no need to worry. If you develop worsening abdominal pain, please call us.
Stitches from repair of any lacerations will dissolve by your follow-up appointment. Sitz baths can help promote healing, reduce swelling & inflammation, and can relieve pain. Fill either a commercial sitz bath or your bathtub up with warm water and soak 2-4 times a day for about 10 minutes each time.